The Lamp Ice Boat Fish Cover
The Lamp, the Ice, and the Boat Called Fish
by Jacqueline Briggs Martin, illustrated by Beth Krommes
Houghton Mifflin, 2001, ISBN 13: 978-0618003419, $15 hardcover; ISBN 13: 978-0618548958, $6.95 paperback, 48pp.
Based on the true story of a boat which became trapped in the Arctic ice in 1913, this book tells, in the form of an epic poem, how the scientists, crew, and an Inupiaq family struggled to survive the Arctic Cold.
Grades 3 and up.
- The SCBWI 2001 Golden Kite Award in Picture Book Illustration
- ALA Notable Book, a Bulletin Blue Ribbon Award
- CCBC Sibert Award Honor Book
- Notable Social Studies Trade Book for Young People
- Riverbank Review Book of Distinction Finalist
- Smithsonian Magazine’s Notable Books for Children 2001
- The Bologna 2001 Children’s Book Fair Illustrator’s Exhibition